Dear Mr. President,
Today a Washington Post reporter asked me my thoughts on your inauguration. I shared them and pray that somehow they reach your eyes or ears. This is long, but I know it is worth every minute of your time.
I don’t know your heart, but what I do know from your policies and politicking deeply concerns me. I am praying for you.
- Proverbs 21:1–2 “The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will. Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the LORD weighs the heart.” (ESV)
Today you laid your hand on your family Bible. I pray for it to be your authority and guide. May you do what God commands and what is right in His eyes.
- 1 Kings 15:5 “because David did what was right in the eyes of the LORD and did not turn aside from anything that he commanded him all the days of his life, except in the matter of Uriah the Hittite.” (ESV)
- Isaiah 65:12 “I will destine you to the sword, and all of you shall bow down to the slaughter, because, when I called, you did not answer; when I spoke, you did not listen, but you did what was evil in my eyes and chose what I did not delight in.” (ESV)
- Ephesians 2:8–9 “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.” (ESV)
Today, you beautifully made your first act of office to be prayer. I pray you speak constantly and dependently to the one true God through the Holy Spirit.
- Matthew 6:6 "But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.”(ESV)
- Psalm 139:13–14 “For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well." (ESV)
Today you said “so help me God.” I pray that God to helps you, guides you, corrects you, leads you, strengthens you, and grants you wisdom.
- Daniel 2:21 “He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding” (ESV)
Today you called all Americans a "good people." I pray that God convicts you personally, so that you can see the depth of our depravity and lead our nation away from evil and wickedness and into righteousness.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 “if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” (ESV)
Today you quoted President Abraham Lincoln, saying “my whole soul is in it.” I pray that God speaks eternal life and truth into your soul.
- 1 Timothy 2:1–4 “First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.” (ESV)
- 1 Kings 11:6 “So Solomon did what was evil in the sight of the LORD and did not wholly follow the LORD, as David his father had done.” (ESV)
Today you warned of lies and mentioned our enemies. I pray that God protects you from the father of lies, Satan. I pray that you take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.
- 2 Corinthians 10:5 “We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ” (ESV)
- “How does one determine whether a law is just or unjust? A just law is a man made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law.” (Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., “Letter from a Birmingham Jail”, April 16, 1963, page 7)
Today you repeated “here I stand” and mentioned the pope. I pray for you to stand firmly, with conviction and courage, like Martin Luther on the Word of God alone.
- “Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason - I do not accept the authority of the popes and councils, for they have contradicted each other - my conscience is captive to the Word of God.” (Martin Luther, Diet of Worms, 1521)
Today you mentioned the “will of the people.” I pray for you to hear and treasure the “will of God” over and above the polls and politicians.
- Matthew 6:9–10 “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.” (ESV)
Today you quoted Saint Augustine about us being defined by the common objects of our love. I pray that you love and follow the Spirit of truth above all else.
- John 16:13 “When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth”
Today you prioritized unity. I pray for you to truly seek to bring our nation together “under God.”
- James 4:7–8 “Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.” (ESV)
Today Garth Brooks sang and invited others to sing “Amazing Grace.” I pray for God’s Amazing Grace and love in and through you, and across our nation.
- Ephesians 1:7 “In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace” (ESV)
As today’s events concluded peacefully, I thanked God for the peace of today. I thanked Him for our wonderful nation. I asked Him to preserve our nation and to guide our nation back to Him. I asked God to use you greatly over the next four years.
- Jeremiah 29:7 “But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the LORD on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare.” (ESV)
Mr. President, today the Lord has allowed you the great privilege of serving as the President of the United States. One day you will give an account to your Creator for your life and your presidency. Tonight, and for the duration of your presidency, I am praying for you.