2 Timothy 4:2 “Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season”
- 31% pray by themselves at least once a day
- 20% never pray
- 8% pray with others on a daily basis
- 65% rarely or never pray with other people.
- 67% say they rarely or never do read "sacred texts"
- 8% read the Bible or other sacred texts on a daily basis
- 21% percent do so at least once a week
- 25% attend religious worship services once a week or more
- 66% rarely or never visit a church, synagogue, mosque or temple
- 20% meet with others at least monthly in a small group to study the Bible or other sacred texts, but 80 percent rarely or never do so
- 65% identify themselves as Christian
- 14% say they are atheist or agnostic
- 14% list no religious preference
- 8% claim other religions
- 53% disagree (strongly or somewhat) that the Bible is the written Word of God and is totally accurate in all it teaches
- 46% agree strongly & 26% agree somewhat that God is a real being, not just a concept. 28% disagree somewhat or strongly
- 40% agree strongly or somewhat that the devil, or Satan, is not a real being but is just a symbol of evil
- 50% agree strongly or somewhat that "when he lived on earth, Jesus Christ was human and committed sins, like other people." Only 30% strongly disagree.
- 31% agree strongly that Jesus is the only path to heaven.
- 70% believe heaven in a real place; 60% believe hell is a real place.
- 25% believe they will go to heaven after they die, because they have accepted Jesus Christ as their savior
- 16% believe they will go to heaven after they die because they have tried their best to be a good person and live a good life
- 4% believe they will go to heaven after they die because "God loves all people and will not let any of them perish."
- 61% place family at the top of their priority lists
- 25 % Friends
- 17% Education
- 16% Careers/jobs
- 13% Spouses/partners
- 13% Spirituality/religion
- 12% Finances
- 12% Happiness
- 11% Raising kids
- 10% Health
- 9% Activities
- 9% Well-being
- 5% The future
- 5% Nature/pets
- 4% Use of time
Some concerning aspects of this study:
- "two-thirds of those who indicate they trust Christ as Savior mention nothing about faith, religion or spirituality when asked to name what’s really important in their lives"
- “For many Millennials, Christianity is a family heirloom rather than a faith commitment. The Christian faith in America is being passed to a generation that is slow to embrace a relationship with Jesus Christ and even slower to treasure it.” - Thom Rainer
Family, friends, education, jobs, health, marriage, children, etc. are all good things to value. Unfortunately, when those areas of our life take priority over Jesus, they become god-things: idols.
Exodus 20:3 "You shall have no other gods before me."
May we be a generation that treasures Christ above all else.
"remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins" James 5:20
Most Viewed Blog Posts
Dear Mr. President, I’m a Casualty of Your Drive-By Tweeting War. We all are. Last week you tweeted an insult my way. It was an acci...
Pokémon is huge fad that is reemerging with the insanely popular Pokémon Go mobile app/game. No doubt, the technology and gaming is AMA...
The below Bible verses are a set that were helpful to my family and my mother as she passed away from cancer. I was reminded of them recent...