WAS MARY ALWAYS SAVED?DID MARY NEVER SIN?
The Catholic Blog - Helping people find answers to the most common questions about Catholicism with answers from the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the Bible. (www.catholic.blog )
“Did Mary ever sin?” - Important Passages of The Catechism of the Catholic Church to Consider:
- “Through the centuries the Church has become ever more aware that Mary, “full of grace”, was redeemed from the moment of her conception. That is what the dogma of the Immaculate Conception confesses, as Pope Pius IX proclaimed in 1854: ‘The Most Blessed Virgin Mary was, from the first moment of her conception, by a singular grace and privilege of almighty God and by virtue of the merits of Jesus Christ, Savior of the human race, preserved immune from all stain of original sin.” (CCC 491)
- “Mary remained free of every personal sin her whole life long” (CCC 493)
- "from the first instant of her conception, she was totally preserved from the stain of original sin and she remained pure from all personal sin throughout her life” (CCC 508)
- “the Immaculate Virgin, preserved free from all stain of original sin” (CCC 966)
- “her complete adherence to the Father’s will” (CCC 967)
“Did Mary ever sin?” - Important Scriptures to Consider:
- 1 John 1:8 “If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.” (ESV)
- Romans 3:23 “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (ESV)
- Romans 3:10 “None is righteous, no, not one” (ESV)
- Romans 5:12 “Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned”
- Romans 5:18–19 “Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men.  For as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous.” (ESV)
- Psalm 51:5 "Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.”
- Jeremiah 17: 9 “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?”
- 2 Corinthians 5:21 “For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.” (ESV)
“Did Mary ever sin?” - Important Questions to Consider:
- Did Jesus or any of the apostles mention that Mary was sinless?
- Does any part of the Bible mention someone (apart from Jesus) who was sinless?
- Is not the claim to Mary’s sinlessness putting her on the same level as Jesus?
- If the implication is that Mary had to be sinless for Jesus to be unstained by sin, then wouldn’t that logic extend to Mary’s parents as well? When would that line of “sinlessness” end?
- What does 1 John 1:8 say about claiming to not have sin? What does that imply about The Catechism of the Catholic Church?”
Subscribe to “The Catholic Blog” on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC03uZywULBplunOmh4nCB2A
Free Books for Catholics: www.catholic.blog/books
Free Videos for Catholics: www.catholic.blog/videos
Frequently Asked Catholic Questions: www.catholic.blog
You can download the free eBook "A Biblical Study of The Catechism of the Catholic Church" at www.catholic.blog or purchase a Kindle, paperback, or hardback version at Amazon (www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098L1MRLK).