- "79% of all teens (17 million) have a mobile device"
- "We believe every child and grandchild you know and love will be impacted, directly or indirectly, by sexually explicit content delivered over the Internet by computers and wireless technologies. "
- "90% of young people’s first exposure to pornography on the Internet is unintentional; the second exposure rarely is."
- "each child will have peers accessing pornographic Internet content through a wireless device "
- This resource contains a chart that shows how parents can protect their children through controls & features of some national cell phone networks
Statistics from http://www.nationalcoalition.org/
- "A survey of 600 households conducted by the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children found that 20% of parents do not know any of their children’s Internet passwords, instant messaging nicknames or email addresses"
- "The average age of first Internet exposure to pornography is 11 years oldInternet Pornography Statistics. Internet Filter Review, 2004"
- "The largest consumer of Internet pornography is the 12-17 age groupInternet Pornography Statistics. Internet Filter Review, 2004"
- "Only 5% of parents recognized the acronym POS (parent over shoulder) and only 1% could identify WTGP (want to go private?), both of which are used frequently by teens when instant messagingAds target online victimization of children. USA Today, 20 May 2004. "
Additional resources available below:
- National Coalition for the Protection of Children and Families (http://www.nationalcoalition.org/ )
- Become educated about the new technology and its capabilities through the iCare website at http://www.icarecoalition.org/
- Text Messaging Language Chart