HELPFUL AND IMPORTANT SCRIPTURES - Part 1
The Catholic Blog - Helping people find answers to the most common questions about Catholicism with answers from the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the Bible. (www.catholic.blog )
What are the “Five Solas”
The “five solas” describe a summary of some of the major concerns and focuses of those who sought reform in the church in the 1500s during the “Protestant Reformation.” “Sola” means alone and was used to define the essential elements of the Christian faith. The “reformers” of the day saw many things being added to the pure teachings of the Bible. Their corrective focus was found in their theological convictions about
1) Scripture 2) Faith 3) Grace 4) Christ 5) God’s Glory
when understanding God’s plans for salvation in the Gospel.
The Bible alone is our greatest authority.
The What (Authoritative Communication) of Our Salvation
Scripture over Tradition and the Magisterium.
This does not mean that truth is not found elsewhere. It means that all we learn about God, His Creation, and His plan for life and eternity should be interpreted in view of the Scriptures. The Bible is sufficient for our theological understanding.
The Bible Is from God
- 2 Peter 1:19–21 “And we have the prophetic word more fully confirmed, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts,  knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone's own interpretation.  For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.” (ESV)
- “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.” 2 Timothy 3:16-17
- “the Scriptures…bear witness about me” - Jesus in John 5:39-40 (ESV)
- "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change." James 1:17
- Deuteronomy 18:20 “But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in my name that I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.’” (ESV)
The Bible Is Sufficient for Salvation
- 2 Peter 1:3 “His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence” (ESV)
- 2 Timothy 3:10-17 “the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.”
- James 1:21 “receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls”
- Ephesians 6:17 “take…the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God”
- Psalm 119:105 “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.”
- Mark 12:24 “Jesus said to them, ‘Is this not the reason you are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God?’"
- "This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success." Joshua 1:7-8
- Jude 3 “Beloved, although I was very eager to write to you about our common salvation, I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints.” (ESV)
- John 20:30–31 “Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book;  but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.” (ESV)
Do Not Add or Take Away from the Bible’s Teaching & Authority
- Deuteronomy 4:2 “You shall not add to the word that I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the LORD your God that I command you.” (ESV)
- Deuteronomy 12:32 “Everything that I command you, you shall be careful to do. You shall not add to it or take from it.” (ESV)
- Ecclesiastes 3:14 "I perceived that whatever God does endures forever; nothing can be added to it, nor anything taken from it. God has done it, so that people fear before him.” (ESV)
- Proverbs 30:5–6 “Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.  Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.” (ESV)
- 2 John 9 “Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.” (ESV)
- 1 Corinthians 4:6–7 “I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another.  For who sees anything different in you? What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it?” (ESV)
- 2 Timothy 2:15 “rightly handling the word of truth” (ESV)
- Galatians 1:6–9 “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ.  But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.  As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.” (ESV)
- Revelation 22:18–19 “I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book,  and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.” (ESV)
Relevant Warnings - Do Not Turn Away from the Bible
- 2 Timothy 4:3–4 “For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions,  and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.” (ESV)
- 2 Peter 2:1 “But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies”
- Jude 4 “For certain people have crept in unnoticed who long ago were designated for this condemnation, ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God”
- Matthew 23:4 “They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on people's shoulders"
Subscribe to “The Catholic Blog” on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC03uZywULBplunOmh4nCB2A
Free Books for Catholics: www.catholic.blog/books
Free Videos for Catholics: www.catholic.blog/videos
Frequently Asked Catholic Questions: www.catholic.blog
You can download the free eBook "A Biblical Study of The Catechism of the Catholic Church" at www.catholic.blog or purchase a Kindle, paperback, or hardback version at Amazon (www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098L1MRLK).