“Those who know God the best are the richest and most powerful in prayer. Little acquaintance with God, and strangeness and coldness to Him, make prayer a rare and feeble thing.” - E. M. Bounds
Here are some suggestions for prayer...
1. Pray over the names of God. Reflect on who He is and adore Him (from God Is by Ken Hemphill)
a. Alpha (beginning), Omega (end), Our Advocate, the Almighty, the Author & Finisher, the Beloved Son, the Bread of Life, the Bright Morning Star, Captain of our Salvation, the Chief Shepherd, the Cornerstone, Our Creator, Our Counselor, Our Deliverer, the Door, the Faithful Witness, Everlasting Father, the First Begotten, the Good Shepherd, the Great High Priest, the Holy Child, the Head of the Church, the Great I AM, Immanuel, Jesus, the Just One, the Life, the Lamb of God, the Light of the World, the Lion of Judah, the Lord of All, the Lord of Glory, Our Master, the Man of Sorrows, Our Mediator, the Messiah, the Mighty God, Our Redeemer, the Prince of Peace, Our Rock, the Resurrection & the Life, Our Savior, the Rose of Sharon, the Son of God, the Son of Man, the True Light, the True Vine, the Truth, Wonderful, the Word of God, & the Way
2. Pray the Lord’s Prayer (Matthew 6)
3. Pick a Psalm and pray through it, reflecting how you might be feeling and thinking in a similar way or situation
a. 150 Psalms – 5 per day
a. Adoration (of God)
b. Confession (of sins)
c. Thanksgiving (for His work)
d. Supplication (how can you ask God to help you or others)
i. Spend time praying over each of these areas
5. Remain in silence – reflect on how the Lord is working upon your life
6. Pray for Missionaries – International, across North America, & Military chaplains
7. Pray over the 10 commandments and ask for forgiveness of those you have broken (Exodus 20)
8. Journal out (write) down a prayer
9. Write your sins on a dry erase board or a piece of paper. Pray for forgiveness and then erase them or tear up the paper.
10. Pray out loud.
11. Pray for five of your friends by name.
12. Pray for Students, Families, Children, or Senior Adults at your church by name.
13. Pray for a non-believer by name. Pray for a struggling Christian by name.
14. Pray for the leaders of your church: Staff. Lay leadership. Sunday School teachers. Volunteers.
15. Pray for five members of your family by name.
16. Pray for opportunities to witness and for boldness and courage to do so.
17. Pray for increased growth in your own spiritual walk with Christ: Bible Reading, Prayer, Worship, Stewardship, Service, etc..
18. Thank God because we are: the salt of the earth, the light of the world, witnesses of the Gospel, branches in God’s vine, friends of Jesus, called by Christ, Saints of God, justified before God, walking in newness of life, in the Spirit, Sons of God, more than conquerors, one body, strong for the weak, filled with God’s goodness, not Spiritually lacking, in Christ Jesus, God’s field and building, God’s temple, the Members of Christ, known by God, the Aroma of Christ, given over to death, protected from Fear of Death, a new creation, ambassadors for Christ, strong when we are weak, crucified with Christ, heirs with Christ, sons and not slaves, not under the law, sealed with the Holy Spirit, created to do good, fellow citizens with the Saints, Christ’s household, not quitters, protected by God’s power, God’s people, blessed when we are cursed, called God’s children, from God (from We Are by Ken Hemphill)
19. Pray for strength and ways of escape with certain struggles and temptations you are dealing with. Pray for Satan to remain far from you.
20. Prayer walk: Walk around and pray for the areas and people you see.
21. Pray for specific needs/concerns of others.
22. Pray for your future spouse or children (if the Lord wills).
23. Randomly open your Bible and pray over the Scripture you read. Reflect how you may have experienced or are experiencing similar things.
24. Pray freely as you feel led.
25. Pray an ancient prayer of a Puritan (a book called: Valley of Vision)
26. Pray through a church prayer sheet or bulletin.
27. Pray standing up. Kneeling. Sitting down. Laying down.
28. Pray every morning. Pray every evening.
29. Pray in a group over each others needs/requests and as you feel led
30. Pray as you watch the news. As you are sitting in class. As you are driving a car (eyes open!)
- Pray when you receive news by email, text message, phone calls, or Facebook.
"The life, power, and glory of the church is prayer…without it, the church is lifeless and powerless” – E.M. Bounds