HOW CAN I BECOMEA CHRISTIAN?
John 3:3 Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” (ESV)
1. Understand and believe that God is the Creator of the Universe
God created us and has authority over us.
- Colossians 1:16-17 "For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities-all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together."
- Hebrews 11:3 "By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible.”
We will give an answer for our lives.
- Hebrews 9:27 "And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment"
- Hebrews 4:13 "And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account."
2. Acknowledge and confess your sinfulness
God's Commandments are His perfect standard of Holiness.
- Romans 3:19-20 "Now we know that whatever the law says it speaks to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be stopped, and the whole world may be held accountable to God. 20 For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin."
- Romans 3:23 "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”
- James 2:10 “For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it.”
Admit that you are not good. Turn away from you sin and turn towards Christ.
- Psalm 32:5 “I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,’ and you forgave the iniquity of my sin.”
- Romans 3:10-12 “None is righteous, no, not one;  no one understands; no one seeks for God.  All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.”
- 1 John 1:9-10 “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.”
3. Believe that Jesus died on the cross and rose from the grave
Realize that Salvation is by Faith (trusting in Jesus, loving and valuing Him more than anyone or anything) and not by works.
- Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."
- Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.”
- Mark 12:28-31 “And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, ‘Which commandment is the most important of all?’  Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.  And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’  The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
Affirm that Jesus is God and is the Only Way of Salvation. Salvation is not possible by obedience in Judaism, not through Mohammed's revelation of Allah (Islam), not through Buddhism or Hinduism, not by good works, and not through Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormonism. Salvation is only available through Jesus.
- John 14:6 "Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'"
- Acts 4:12 "And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."
- 1 John 2:23 "No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also."
4. Call out to Jesus in prayer to be in charge of your life
Publicly place your trust and faith in Him.
- Acts 16:30-31 Then he brought them out and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”  And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”
- Romans 10:9-10 “if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.  For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.”
- Romans 10:13 “For ‘everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’”
Submit and yield to His Lordship. Let Him be in control of your life.
- Acts 2:37-38 “Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, ‘Brothers, what shall we do?’  And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
- Matthew 16:24-26 “Then Jesus told his disciples, ‘If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.  For whoever would save his life(1) will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.  For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?’”
Now What? If you have chosen to believe that Jesus Christ is God, died on the cross, and rose from the grave and have truly yielded control of your life to Him, you are a Christian and follower of Jesus. Here is what to do next…
Walk with Jesus in Fellowship with Other Believers
Proclaim Christ's Lordship over your life through Baptism
- Acts 2:38 "And Peter said to them, 'Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.’"
See “What does the Bible say about Baptism?” on TrustworthyWord.com
Read your Bible to grow in your knowledge and love of Christ
See “How to Study the Bible?” on TrustworthyWord.com
Pray consistently and daily to relate more with Jesus
See “What Does the Bible Say God is Like?” and “What Does the Bible Say about Christian Identity?” on TrustworthyWord.com
Connect with a biblically faithful church family
- Hebrews 10:25-26 "And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.”
See “What Does the Bible Say about Church Membership?” on TrustworthyWord.com
Speak and Demonstrate God's Love
- Ephesians 2:10 "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.”
See “What Does the Bible Say about Love?” on TrustworthyWord.com
Listen to and Obey God's Commands
- Hebrews 10:26-27 "For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries."
- 1 Peter 1:15-16 "but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16 since it is written, 'You shall be holy, for I am holy.’"
See “What Does the Bible Say about Sin?” and “What Does the Bible Say about Sanctification?” on TrustworthyWord.com
Common Objections to the Gospel
- What about people who’ve never heard about Jesus? Will they go to Hell?
What about other religions: Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, and tribal religions? A person doesn’t go to Hell for failing to hear the Gospel, they go to hell for failing to obey God’s law. Consider if a man jumped out of a plane without a parachute. He doesn’t die primarily because he doesn’t have a parachute. The reason he dies is because he violates the law of gravity…which brings him to his death. If a person dies without Christ, it is because he has transgressed the law of God…ignorance is not excuse. If we really care about those who have not heard about Jesus, we need to first come to Christ, and take His name, the only name which offers hope of salvation….to the ends of the earth.
- My god is a god of love and forgiveness who doesn’t send someone to hell.
This is an example of idolatry…a violation of the 2nd commandment. Crafting a god of our own imagination, in our own image, or a god we are comfortable with. We cannot separate God’s justice from God’s love. He does judge the wicked and the immoral by their transgression of the law, and their sentence is eternal death and suffering in a very real Hell. This same God, we learn from Romans 5:8, loved us so much, that while we were still rebels and enemies, sent His son to die for us.
- Why is there so much suffering?
We all go through suffering. All of us have been hurt by the sinfulness of others, the consequences of living in a fallen world, and by our own sinfulness. We need to have faith in God, knowing and trusting that He is in control, and that His good plan includes an eternal rescue from sin, suffering, and death. It is good to ask these deep questions, I would recommend www.gotquestions.org to dig deeply into this and similar tough questions. Ultimately God sent this message here today to help save you from eternal suffering. This is God’s love.
- I’m already saved.
God tells us to test ourselves to see if we are in the faith. Have our lives changed? Do we desire to hear God’s voice through the Bible? Are we obedient to God’s commands? Do we see the fruits of God’s Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control) in our lives? (Galatians 5:22-24) Or do we see the works of the flesh in our lives (sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these)? (Galatians 5:19-21) Do we desperately seek Him in prayer? Do we see righteousness being produced by God in our lives? Are we quick to forgive? Do we love others?
SEE “How Can I Be Sure I Am a Christian?” on TrustworthyWord.com
When you see a doctor and you are sick, what does he do? He assess the symptoms, shoots straight with you, and tells you about your disease and any possible cures. The Bible clearly speaks to any symptoms of ongoing, unrepentant sin in our lives. Matthew 7:21 “I never knew you.” Test yourselves.
- I don’t believe in God.
Just because we don’t believe something doesn’t make it disappear. Put on a blindfold and stand in front of a large truck on a highway, saying I don’t believe the truck exists. I know there is no such thing as an atheist. No such thing as an atheist at 25,000 ft in crazy turbulence. Look at a painting, do you say, look what coincidentally formed by chance over a ridiculously long period of time? No. You see a painting. You know there is a painter. You see a building, you know there is a builder. You see the Creation and you know there is a Creator.
- I don’t believe the Bible is God’s Word.
You are right the Bible was written by men. When you write a letter, do you write, or does the pen? Men are God’s instruments to write the Bible. The Bible is the most accurate piece of literature in all of history…scientifically, historically, prophetically, archaeologically, and documentary or manuscript evidence. Find an error. We’ve searched. We can’t find any.
- I confess my sins and say I’m sorry all the time.
Consider civil law. If someone is guilty of a serious crime, when they come to trial, if they just say “I’m sorry” to the judge, do you think he’ll just let her go? That’s not fair. Only a corrupt or unrighteous judge would let a guilty person free without a penalty. The law has been broken. Justice demands a punishment. We can’t just say we are sorry. We can’t be “good enough” to overcome our crimes. We need Jesus to pay for the penalty for our sin.
- I’ve lied, but that doesn’t make me a bad person.
On moral issues…it only takes one commission of a crime to be labeled a criminal. One murder = a murderer. One lie = liar. One theft = a thief. One lust = adulterer. It is human nature to trivialize sin, but sin is serious. God tells us in James 2:10 that anyone who is guilty of one sin is guilty of all sin.
- Christianity is narrow-minded.
The Bible is clear that there is only one way. Jesus says in John 14:6, “I am the way and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me.” In Acts 4:12 we learn that there is only one “name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” I you don’t have the Son, don’t have the Father. You’re right, without Jesus, no hope for your transgression of the law. Jesus has the power to forgive sins…He openly offers that exclusive path to salvation to all who hear…would you reject Him? Put your faith in Him?
- I don’t agree with you.
No one knows when they will face death. Did you know that 150,000 people die every 24 hours? That is not a scare tactic, that is reality. And after death there is guaranteed judgment. Jesus speaks of the rich man and Lazarus, the rich man who is in Hell becomes desperate to tell his family about Jesus. Read Romans 2:4 – We plead with you to realize you are storing up wrath for yourself for the day of judgment…don’t presume upon God’s patience and kindness. Get right with the Lord. Consider our motives…we just want you to know and love Jesus and find eternal life. Paul in Romans 9 explains that he wishes he could sacrifice his own salvation for the salvation of someone else…but it doesn’t work that way. You must decide.
THE BOTTOM LINE? There is no good objection for failing to follow Christ as your Lord. Do you have a good reason for putting Him off any longer?
Check out these resources for more answers!